Skip to main content

Preliminary Game Design Document

I think My GDD document has really started to take shape. I've come up with some new ideas and further developed my old ideas since my last blog. I enjoyed making the game design document on DunDoc. The template on the site helped me to lay out all my information. I like that the document can be adjusted at any time. In my opinion, it's an easy to use website and should be used when designing any game. I was unsure what to write in some of the tabs on the template but sorted that problem after using google. This website did a good job with helping me visualize my game better.

Now I can start with the early development of my game. Researching and coming up with ideas is fun, I will continue to do so as I develop my game, but I can't wait to start making the actual game in Unity. My GDD Document breaks down my ideas. It also includes some images for the type of look/feel the game will have. Although I was inspired by other games mine will have its own unique feel. 

When I start developing my game in Unity I will get even more ideas. It will give me a greater understanding of how my ideas look in an actual game and will show me if I need to make any adjustments to them.


Game Introduction
"Jimmy's Gems" is a first-person platforming game for the PC, designed using the "Unity" game engine. You play the role of a young boy who is obsessed with collecting shiny gems. He sneaks into the forest every morning to get more before his parents wake up.

Description
Your parents have banned you from accumulating any more gems. You only have a limited time before your parents wake up and find out that your collecting gems, so run! Get as many gems as you can before its too late. Scan the forest well, you never know where those gems could be hiding. 

How to Play
Collect as many gems as you can before the timer runs out. Collect gems by simply walking into them. The game ends when the timer runs out.

User Interface (controls)
The game will be designed for keyboard/mouse. The user controls will use the standard WASD keys. The back button will lead the player back to the home screen menu. There will be no on-screen buttons during gameplay. No player inventory will be included in the game.
  • W Key - Walk Forward 
  • A Key - Walk Left
  • S Key - Walk Back 
  • D Key - Walk Right 
  • Shift Key - Sprint
  • Spacebar - Jump 
Heads Up Display (HUD)
There will be a counter on the top right-hand corner of the screen. This counter will count the number of gems the player has collected during play. 

The main menu screen will leave the player with four different options, a play button, controls button and a how to play button and a leaderboard button. The play button will lead the player straight into the game level. The controls button will show the player the keys used to control the character. The how to play button will display a short few lines of text which explains what the player is required to do. When the leaderboard button is clicked, the player will see all their past high scores. 

Character
Jimmy Gems is the main protagonist in the game "A Shiny Obsession". He is a young boy who really loves shiny gems and will go behind his parents back to get them.
Finding shiny gems is his passion.

Level Design
This game contains a single map. Player will start outside his parent's house. The level is set in a magical forest filled with mountains, ponds, trees, grass, hidden locations, and gems. The placement of these gems is random and will change after every game.

Global Elements
The game map will medium-sized to encourage the player to discover and rediscover the same locations on the map. The map will be surrounded by large non-claimable mountains to keep the player enclosed in the map. All the gems will spin continuously and play a sound when collected. Platforms on the map will remain static. Clouds, trees, and grass will be dynamic.

Audio & Sound F/x
Light-hearted background music during menu and gameplay. Bird ambient noises in the forest. Player movement noises when walking, running, and jumping.

Menu Fx
The main menu will play a different light-hearted song to the in-game one. The menu buttons will play the same ding noise as the gems when clicked. There will be an option to turn of the game music/sound from the main menu. Buttons will have a pressed in animation when clicked.

Player elements 
The player will hear footstep noises and a noise when jumping. Birds sounds will also be played when the player enters the forest.

Requirements
Almost any PC will be able to run this game. The game will not be stressful on the user's graphics card or processor. It will also not take up much memory. The game will have full 1080p support. The game supports 60fps which is recommended for a smooth gaming experience. The game will automatically save itself.

Artwork Design
Cartoon art style which is perfect for children and adults who want that nostalgic platformer feeling. The art style is inspired by 90s platforming games.

Player View
First person view camera which moves accordingly to the player's mouse. The camera will not show the players body.

Splash Screens 
No splash screen will be displayed when the game is opened

Sound Technical Requirements
Speakers or headphones will be required if the player wants to hear the game sound.

Key Features
  • Light Hearted Soundtrack 
  • Cartoon Art Style 
  • Timed Gameplay
  • Exploration 
  • Platforming 
  • Gem Collection 
  • On-Screen Score
  • User-friendly 
  • All age ranges 
  • Short fast-paced gameplay
  • Single map 
Development
Development of the game will begin with designing the map/ implementing the art style. I will then focus on sound, programming and making the game menu. Finally, the game will be tested for any bugs that may need to be patched.

Genre
The game falls into the genre of a first-person platformer. The games niche genre is fantasy - a forest filled with magic shiny gems. 

Platform
This game is targeted towards people on the PC platform. This is the games preferred platform because there are not many first-person games similar to this on PC. There is no multiplayer support for this game all scores will be kept on the users own PC. 

Gameplay
Gameplay will be fast-paced as the player is required to run, jump, and explore. A timer will constantly tick down when the game starts. Gems are scattered in different locations around the forest. They will be located on the ground,  up on platforms, and in hidden locations. An on-screen scoreboard will display the number of gems collected by the player. Gems will vary in value depending on their colour.

Target Market
This game is targeted toward players who like getting a high score for bragging rights. The art style and user-friendly controls make the game suitable for people of all ages. 

Marketing
The game will be marketed on my social media accounts so friends, family, and fellow students can give it a try.




Hard to tink of ebil plan on happi colord blankit.
(Link to Image by Paul Anderson)






Comments

  1. Hey Conor! This is a really good game design document, It's clear that you put a lot of work and effort into it to get your game details across. Your game layout is very clear and to the point, also well written. I really like the sound of the artwork design, cartoon animation is a great way to go I think it appeals to all audiences that way. The actual description of your game reminds me of Hansel and Gretel in a sense? It sounds like a simple but effective game which is great, I think it's one of those games that gets you addicted and has you playing at 4am. Having the game take place in the forest is such a cool idea, I like how you're adding in bird sound effects and walking sound effects it makes it seem more realistic. Maybe you could add in crunching effects to make it sound like the player is walking on leaves or twigs? Great game name too, it made me laugh for some reason. Good Dundoc!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Into My (Awesome) Life

The names Conor, and in this blog I want to tell you a little about myself. I'm 20 years old and have lived in Dublin my entire life. I am currently a second-year student studying "Creative Digital Media" in Blanchardstown. I really enjoy my course and plan on getting a job in this industry when I get my degree. I'd describe myself as a determined and hardworking person who loves a good laugh. After working hard in year one it's safe to say I learned a lot. The best class I took last year was photography. I loved that this module required us to go outside to take photos because it offered a nice break from working inside all day. Although I liked most of my modules last year, I found modules that involved film or photography to be the most enjoyable. My goal for this year is to continue working hard and improve on my work. Speaking of working hard, we all need a break every now and again. Over the break, I took the opportunity to travel to several countries, i

Game Vision Statement

Introduction  "Obsessed" is a first-person platforming game for the PC, designed using the "Unity" game engine. You play the role of a young boy who is obsessed with collecting shiny gems. He sneaks into the forest every morning to get more before his parents wake up. Description Your parents have banned you from accumulating any more gems. You only have a limited time before your parents wake up and find out that your collecting gems, so run! Get as many gems as you can before its too late. Scan the forest well, you never know where those gems could be hiding.  Key Features Light Hearted Soundtrack  Cartoon Art Style  Timed Gameplay Exploration  Platforming  Gem Collection  On-Screen Score Genre The game falls into the genre of a first-person platformer. The games niche genre is fantasy - a forest filled with magic gems.  Platform This game is targeted towards people on the PC platform. This is the games preferred platform because th

Final GDD

This week's blog finalizes my game design document. I further developed my document this week by adding a lot more detail and some code. I looked at different Youtube videos to find code that I will need to make my game. I plan to finish the game a week early so it leaves time to test for bugs and or any other changes. I want to develop the game environment first so I can focus on the coding side of things. I want to focus more on the coding because it's more important than the visuals for this assignment. It will also require more of my time because I find coding to be the most difficult part of game development. I can use some of the same code in Unity tutorials for my game, so I only needed to research code for my games HUD, main menu, countdown timer, and gem counter.  After finalizing my GDD document this week, I started prototyping a map for my game. I imported some of the assets from the Unity tutorials and changed the textures the look of the textures using photosho