Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 02 - Game Design

It must be understood that games require a lot more planning and iteration before development starts.

Board games have been around a lot longer than electronic ones. People can take a lot of inspiration from board games because all of their game concepts/ rules can be applied to video games. Producing a playable paper prototype of a game first takes less time than creating an electronic one. Storyboarding a game is a useful technique to use during the design process.

 The refinement process mainly consists of playtesting for modifications. It's important to have different ideas and designs, as the first idea in your head might not necessarily be the best one.

There are many different game genres and game elements. Not all game elements are suitable for every game. It's important not to bunch together different game elements because they may not cohere.

Take inspiration from other games as it's a useful way of finding new aspects, that can be applied to your own game. When creating your first game it should be a smaller project to avoid getting overwhelmed. The gameplay should be more of a focus rather than the pettiness of story.

Before the polished product is created, the game design process is long and requires a lot of iterative refinement and continuous adjustments during testing.

Useful Articles

Don't Be a Vidiot,by Greg Costikyan
This Article taught me a lot about the starting point of games.

The article explains why we should make tabletop games to learn video game design.

The author gives us his thoughts about game design.

In this article, the author gives advice on creating your first game.

Characters from the Heroquest board game
(Link To Image by Ade McOran-Campbell)








Comments

  1. Hey Conor
    Thanks for commenting on my Game Brainstorm Ideas blog. This is a very good blog you have and you seem to have good thoughts about creating your game. I agree with you saying that it is good not to bunch different game elements together as it may end up making your game worse. Also agree with starting our game projects small and not something that will overwhelm us. Looking forward to seeing more of your blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, thanks for commenting on my blog too.

      Delete
  2. Hey Conor ,
    Was great to see your thoughts on this reading. I definitely agree that you need to do a massive amount of planning before you even start your game. Even with all the planning we all did for our own games it can still be a little bit difficult to know what to try and do next after completing something in your game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Into My (Awesome) Life

The names Conor, and in this blog I want to tell you a little about myself. I'm 20 years old and have lived in Dublin my entire life. I am currently a second-year student studying "Creative Digital Media" in Blanchardstown. I really enjoy my course and plan on getting a job in this industry when I get my degree. I'd describe myself as a determined and hardworking person who loves a good laugh. After working hard in year one it's safe to say I learned a lot. The best class I took last year was photography. I loved that this module required us to go outside to take photos because it offered a nice break from working inside all day. Although I liked most of my modules last year, I found modules that involved film or photography to be the most enjoyable. My goal for this year is to continue working hard and improve on my work. Speaking of working hard, we all need a break every now and again. Over the break, I took the opportunity to travel to several countries, i...

Game Brainstorm

Game Brainstorm  I got my first game idea after looking at endless runner games such as "Temple Run", "Subway Surfers", "Sonic Dash" and "Super Mario Run". I noticed a lot of these games in this genre are on Android and iOS devices. This got me thinking about creating a similar game for PC. The first of these games to become popular was "Temple Run" back in 2011. This game made the genre popular on mobile devices which later inspired the other endless runner games I mentioned. Endless running games have very simple controls, such as jumping over and dodging oncoming obstacles. A player's score is generally determined by how far they travel without hitting any obstacles. The games have simplistic controls but are difficult because you cannot stop the forward momentum of your character. Although these games have different art styles the gameplay is the same.  I think this would be a good type of game to make because the gameplay ...

Game Vision Statement

Introduction  "Obsessed" is a first-person platforming game for the PC, designed using the "Unity" game engine. You play the role of a young boy who is obsessed with collecting shiny gems. He sneaks into the forest every morning to get more before his parents wake up. Description Your parents have banned you from accumulating any more gems. You only have a limited time before your parents wake up and find out that your collecting gems, so run! Get as many gems as you can before its too late. Scan the forest well, you never know where those gems could be hiding.  Key Features Light Hearted Soundtrack  Cartoon Art Style  Timed Gameplay Exploration  Platforming  Gem Collection  On-Screen Score Genre The game falls into the genre of a first-person platformer. The games niche genre is fantasy - a forest filled with magic gems.  Platform This game is targeted towards people on the PC platform. This is the games ...