Skip to main content

MD2Final GDD

My Role 

The team all met up on Wednesday and Thursday, we discussed the project going forward and peoples roles were updated. My job will still be to take care of all the graphic design work. I may also be contributing to the project by gathering further research.

This week I designed and finished the logo that we are going to be using for the game. I played around with my ideas until deciding on the final design. The logo is based on a 1916 medal that was given to soldiers during that time period. I looked at pictures online to get an idea of what the medal would have looked like. I think its really suitable and clean looking and the font is large and easy to read.

Next week I will be working designing the games main menu screen. I was given a drawing of the inside of a house from the art team, I can use to base my work off. I found this very useful because I was then able to go and research what the inside of a house would have looked like during the early 20th Century. After looking at different images of furniture from that time period, I now have a better understanding of how I am going to design the final main menu. In the coming weeks, I will also be working on making banners, posters, and loading screens. 

 I will be working closely along with the art team and with James and Chris. The group will now be meeting with each other every Wednesday and Thursday to work on and to further discuss the project.

The project will be overseen by Chris and James. Below them are the team leaders who will make sure everyone in their group is doing work. They will go to James and Chris at the end of each week to show all of the teams progress. The workload will be controlled by James and Chris and given to the team leaders. It is then their job each week to ensure the work is distributed evenly amongst the group. Slack is the main platform used to communicate. This program is useful because the chat can be broken up into separate team groups.










Logo Itterations


Final Logo Design



Real Medal


1916-1966 Survivor Medal
(Image by mollydot)


Link to the groups final GDD -  https://vimeo.com/325028075






















Comments

  1. I like the logo, it looks quite pretty, but I think maybe you could make the edges a little less sharp, because on reference picture they aren't quite as pointy as you made them. It also reminds me a little bit of a wax seal stamp that was used for sealing letters. I don't know if they used something like that in 1916, but if they did, it could also be a cool design.
    Anyway, good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Conor,
    Your project seems to be coming along well and is an exciting project. The logo you have done is really good with good detail gone into it. The home room for the main menu screen is a good idea for game as it would tie in well with the game setting. Maybe an idea you could use is for the main menu to be black and white because of the time period and when you start the game, it goes into color. Good blog and I look forward to seeing your final game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Conor,
    Glad to see your project is coming together and is working out. I really like the logo you created for the game, it shows how much research went into creating it because you took inspiration from the real medals that where given out to the survivors. I think the font you picked is great because it has a vintage feel to it and is easy to read. I like all the design work you put into the making of the medal itself the colour work is really nice and the use of shadows makes it stand out. Just wondering if you are going to keep the green and gold sash/ribbon apart of the logo? I think its a nice touch and works really well. The main menu page looks great I'm sure when all the illustrations are completed it'll be great and go with the overall project itself. Nice blog keep up the good work looking forward to see how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Conor, I really like the idea for your game first of all The 1916 Rising is a really cool setting for a game I'm sure it'll look great when it's done! It's nice that you used the survivor medal for reference when designing your logo it turned out really well. The colour scheme really suits the style of the game I think with the tones that you used. It seems like you've really done your research into the design aspect of the game and referencing what the houses looked like back then which is great it gives it a very authentic feel to the whole game. So far your game seems to really be coming together I look forward to seeing it when it's finally completed, best of luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Into My (Awesome) Life

The names Conor, and in this blog I want to tell you a little about myself. I'm 20 years old and have lived in Dublin my entire life. I am currently a second-year student studying "Creative Digital Media" in Blanchardstown. I really enjoy my course and plan on getting a job in this industry when I get my degree. I'd describe myself as a determined and hardworking person who loves a good laugh. After working hard in year one it's safe to say I learned a lot. The best class I took last year was photography. I loved that this module required us to go outside to take photos because it offered a nice break from working inside all day. Although I liked most of my modules last year, I found modules that involved film or photography to be the most enjoyable. My goal for this year is to continue working hard and improve on my work. Speaking of working hard, we all need a break every now and again. Over the break, I took the opportunity to travel to several countries, i

Game Vision Statement

Introduction  "Obsessed" is a first-person platforming game for the PC, designed using the "Unity" game engine. You play the role of a young boy who is obsessed with collecting shiny gems. He sneaks into the forest every morning to get more before his parents wake up. Description Your parents have banned you from accumulating any more gems. You only have a limited time before your parents wake up and find out that your collecting gems, so run! Get as many gems as you can before its too late. Scan the forest well, you never know where those gems could be hiding.  Key Features Light Hearted Soundtrack  Cartoon Art Style  Timed Gameplay Exploration  Platforming  Gem Collection  On-Screen Score Genre The game falls into the genre of a first-person platformer. The games niche genre is fantasy - a forest filled with magic gems.  Platform This game is targeted towards people on the PC platform. This is the games preferred platform because th

Final GDD

This week's blog finalizes my game design document. I further developed my document this week by adding a lot more detail and some code. I looked at different Youtube videos to find code that I will need to make my game. I plan to finish the game a week early so it leaves time to test for bugs and or any other changes. I want to develop the game environment first so I can focus on the coding side of things. I want to focus more on the coding because it's more important than the visuals for this assignment. It will also require more of my time because I find coding to be the most difficult part of game development. I can use some of the same code in Unity tutorials for my game, so I only needed to research code for my games HUD, main menu, countdown timer, and gem counter.  After finalizing my GDD document this week, I started prototyping a map for my game. I imported some of the assets from the Unity tutorials and changed the textures the look of the textures using photosho