Skip to main content

Week 10 Progress

This week I had to start working on making the games home screen. So far I have finished making the background, and some of the furniture. The walls and floor are finished but more detail is still to be added to the furniture.
I also continued my research by looking at more images of furniture popular at the time of the Rising. I then started reading about the living conditions of people during that time. I learned that many were homeless or shared housing. The conditions of the buildings were very bad due to no maintenance.
Many buildings in the city and surrounding areas had no running water or proper sanitation. After reading more about living conditions, I think it's important that the room on the main menu has a similar unkept look.

I watched a few different Youtube videos to help me design the background. The first useful video I watched thought me all about using the perspective distort tool. The second useful video I watched explained how to use image trace on Adobe Illustrator.





By next week I hope to finish making the games home screen so I can start working on loading screens for the game.

Useful Articles 
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1916/rising-life/ordinary-life-in-the-wake-of-the-rising-34628185.html
https://www.simon.ie/Portals/1/26242_SimonVoices.pdf
https://www.rte.ie/centuryireland/index.php/blog/life-in-a-single-room-tenement

Useful Tutorial Videos
Perspective Distort Tool by James George
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq8d3KtYWLo&t=107s

Image Trace - Adobe Illustrator CC by RVH Creatives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BeYY_hEx8

Comments

  1. Hey Conor, I think its a really good idea to create a home page that reflects how the houses were at the time of your game. It's clear you've done a lot of research into what life was like at that time which I think will stand to you when you go to design. By the looks of your drawing, the home page looks great! The buttons are clear but the graphics create an atmosphere and create a theme in the game. I look forward to seeing the rest of your development! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Conor, your design looks pretty damn good. If you're looking for the look and feel I recommend watching the Michael Collins film with Liam Neeson, it has pretty much everything you're looking for. Just pirate it like. You could maybe draw like the GPO all shot up with the point of view from the GPO. Add more grey colours maybe. These are just suggestions anyways. But overall you've done a good job, keep it up and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Into My (Awesome) Life

The names Conor, and in this blog I want to tell you a little about myself. I'm 20 years old and have lived in Dublin my entire life. I am currently a second-year student studying "Creative Digital Media" in Blanchardstown. I really enjoy my course and plan on getting a job in this industry when I get my degree. I'd describe myself as a determined and hardworking person who loves a good laugh. After working hard in year one it's safe to say I learned a lot. The best class I took last year was photography. I loved that this module required us to go outside to take photos because it offered a nice break from working inside all day. Although I liked most of my modules last year, I found modules that involved film or photography to be the most enjoyable. My goal for this year is to continue working hard and improve on my work. Speaking of working hard, we all need a break every now and again. Over the break, I took the opportunity to travel to several countries, i

Game Vision Statement

Introduction  "Obsessed" is a first-person platforming game for the PC, designed using the "Unity" game engine. You play the role of a young boy who is obsessed with collecting shiny gems. He sneaks into the forest every morning to get more before his parents wake up. Description Your parents have banned you from accumulating any more gems. You only have a limited time before your parents wake up and find out that your collecting gems, so run! Get as many gems as you can before its too late. Scan the forest well, you never know where those gems could be hiding.  Key Features Light Hearted Soundtrack  Cartoon Art Style  Timed Gameplay Exploration  Platforming  Gem Collection  On-Screen Score Genre The game falls into the genre of a first-person platformer. The games niche genre is fantasy - a forest filled with magic gems.  Platform This game is targeted towards people on the PC platform. This is the games preferred platform because th

Final GDD

This week's blog finalizes my game design document. I further developed my document this week by adding a lot more detail and some code. I looked at different Youtube videos to find code that I will need to make my game. I plan to finish the game a week early so it leaves time to test for bugs and or any other changes. I want to develop the game environment first so I can focus on the coding side of things. I want to focus more on the coding because it's more important than the visuals for this assignment. It will also require more of my time because I find coding to be the most difficult part of game development. I can use some of the same code in Unity tutorials for my game, so I only needed to research code for my games HUD, main menu, countdown timer, and gem counter.  After finalizing my GDD document this week, I started prototyping a map for my game. I imported some of the assets from the Unity tutorials and changed the textures the look of the textures using photosho